[TriEmbed] Inexpensive 120V (15A) to 240V (7.5A) transformer?

Shane Trent shanedtrent at gmail.com
Tue Apr 26 16:37:22 CDT 2016

Hey all!,

A follow up question on AC wiring and autotransformers. We are using an
inverter that requires a split-phase 230V source that we want to power from
a 115V single-phase generator (or from a 115V GFI equipped power cord). Our
approach is to use an autotransformer to set up the voltage. Hammond offers
a 1500VA, 115VAC to 230VAC transformer pre-wired with cord, ends and a
breaker that seems to be a good fit. With a 1500VA rating it would be
limited to around 6.5 amps output current.

https://www.hammfg.com/electronics/transformers/line/176

I have only the vaguest recollection of delta-y transforms from my
undergrad so the AC wiring diagram leaves me with a couple of questions.

It would seem to me that with the connection shown, if one side of the
output is used to drive a 115V load it would force current through the
ground connection. I under the impression that sending current through the
AC ground was to be avoided. Wouldn't this wiring arrangement prevent you
from using a GFI equipment line for your incoming 120VAC (because forcing
current on the ground leg would cause a trip)?

My knee-jerk expectation is that the 3rd terminal on the output plug would
be connected to the center tap of the transformer. Is this a bad idea? My
thought is that you would also want to feed the incoming 120VAC ground to
the inverter chassis ground to enable GFI to function properly.

Thank you for your time!

Shane