[TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi VNC session "caps lock problem"

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Sep 24 12:47:41 CDT 2015

When accessing an RPI via a VNC session from another machine I randomly
have the thing get into a mode where keyboard letters are upper case no
matter what the shift lock state is in. So I have to press shift for
every character to get lower case letters. It only seems to be cured by
a reboot. This bad state happens anywhere from minutes to hours into use
for a given VNC session. I'm convinced it might be a "magic" keystroke
pattern I'm accidentally typing, but can't get the feedback fast enough
to have any clue what the pattern might have been that triggered this
evil mode.

Anybody know of a cure for this problem?