[TriEmbed] In need of a tiny, cheap, powerful(ish) computer

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Mon Sep 21 14:53:55 CDT 2015

>You didn't really give a specification of what your speed issues were
Sorry, I did not read the last line, just a little tired today. The Cubox has al kinds of encoding/decoding for sound and video, which is why it is such a great XBMC (Kodi) computer.

     On Monday, September 21, 2015 3:27 PM, Alex Davis via TriEmbed <triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Anyone have a recommendation for a decent, tiny, and cheap (<$150) PC? I
> need something to drive the big LED display permanently. The original
> plan
> was to use a Raspberry Pi 2, but it lacked the necessary oomph. I was
> able
> to run it with little problem off my Lenovo S21e (Celeron N2840) but I
> wouldn't want to go less powerful than that. And I'd rather higher clock
> speed (> 2GHz) than more cores. Right now, my only real thought is to buy
> another S21e (about $170) but a whole laptop seems kind of silly... and
> for
> some odd reason, I cannot get basically the same hardware in a tiny PC...
> you know, without a screen, keyboard, and battery :P
>
> Note... part of the reason for the needed power is I've got it setup to
> do
> some video display, both from video files and a webcam... that is just
> dog
> slow on the Pi.

What about re-encoding the videos to something less CPU-intensive, like
MPEG2?

--
"The theater of noise is proof of our potential."

You won't find me on Facebook.