[TriEmbed] Need help with a beginner circuit design

Dave Buster dave.buster at gmail.com
Thu Oct 29 19:00:40 CDT 2015

Wow... cool math.  I like that.  (Seriously.)

I'll share a bit more since you brought it up.

The purpose of the device is to be an electronic shark deterrent for scuba
divers, and I've already filed patents for this.  Therefore, at the risk of
boring the folks on this thread, I'll provide some details.  (I'm happy to
take this off-line if it's getting too heavy.)

Sharks have sensors in their snouts called Ampullae of Lorenzini that are
sensitive to electric potentials as small as 5 nV/cm.  (Yes..that's 5
nano-Volts over a centimeter...amazing)  Scientists theorize that they use
this as their final "hunting sense" as they close in for a kill by sensing
the nerve activity in muscles of their victims.  Electronic shark
deterrents use this fact to "overload" these sensors, which disorients the
shark in the final phase of the attack.  In fact, commercial electronic
shark deterrents have been proven to be very effective, but they are way
too expensive.  ($700 and up for a "Sharkshield" device).  I want to build
a better, cheaper version, and also include notification (flashing LED and
beeps) for other divers.

Therefore, my goal is to build a simple (i.e. cheap) device that generates
and electric field in salt water that will generate a sufficient field.  In
my (uninformed) opinion, I want as strong a field as I can generate and
still not harm the human.  The effective distance will depend on the
voltage.  The electrodes will be shrouded from direct contact, but probably
on the outside of the PVC pipe (opposite sides) in the prototype.

More data:
I had someone make a device with a variable voltage output powered by a
9-volt battery using that max1771 chip.  It worked.  I was able to vary the
voltage from 1 to about 90 VDC and I measured it.  Then I put together a
salt water tank at home (using saltwater aquarium chemicals from the pet
store).  I stuck my hand in the water and gradually turned up the voltage.
With my hand 2 inches away from the electrodes, I could feel a tingling
when I got up to about 80 VDC.  Note that the electrodes were only about an
inch apart, and I never put my hand between them.  I was just feeling the
football shaped field around them.  I think the reason the voltage was so
high but didn't hurt was that the resistivity of human skin is much higher
than seawater.  The electricity flowed around my hand- never through it.  I
ran a series of a bunch of tests, using the device powered my a 9 volt
battery.  It was never exhausted.  However, I'm only requiring the device
to operate for 30 minutes.  That's double the time for a diver a
recreational depth (< 100 feet) to ascend safely.

Brian-  Thanks for your help so far.  If you'd like to get together to
discuss this some more, I'm happy to do it and buy you coffee or lunch or
something.  That offer is open to others as well.  Just ping me.

By the way... bitcoins are back.  They are over $300 this week. With an
ASIC miner and a Raspberry pi (which I already own), I can just make it
cash-flow positive because I have time-of-use rates from Duke power.  After
9pm and weekends, I'm below 7 cents per KWh.  I'll find a mining pool that
let's me come and go at night.  I'm not gonna get rich, but it's an
interesting education.  (If I'm lucky, I'll net about $5 per month.)

Dave

--
Dave Buster

KK4ELT on 2 meters

Never look at the trombones, it only encourages them.
*Ri
<http://t.sidekickopen23.com/e1t/c/5/f18dQhb0S7lC8dDMPbW2n0x6l2B9nMJW7t5XX45vMtjYVQZgwH64R1y4W8r4TLx56dPn8f5RTxgR02?t=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.brainyquote.com%2Fquotes%2Fauthors%2Fr%2Frichard_wagner.html&si=4964982235594752&pi=698aaf6a-ee74-41ed-d533-d252d628138e>chard
Strauss*