[TriEmbed] Eagle 7.4 autorouter & file handling flakey?

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Wed Oct 14 13:19:52 CDT 2015

<rant>I wonder if the otherwise intelligent people at Cadsoft have any
idea how brain-dead it is to play with the menu bar icons, changing
their appearance for the sake of changing them? I was forced to jump to
7.4 this morning and wasted a lot of time finding things because,
although the mouse pointer was going to the right area, I had to stop
and let the text confirm I really had the thing I was after. Switching
back and forth between 7 and 6 is going to be painful. I'm coming up to
speed with Kicad but having to use Eagle part of the time until nearly
the end of time is the same flavor reality as having to use Windows.
Speaking of, this icon change is right out of the Windows play book.
You'd think the wisdom on this subject would be in the water supply by
now. On the other hand, I guess if Cadsoft was trying to emulate
Microsoft they'd have hidden the tool bar so you couldn't even find it
in less than a few minutes.</rant>

But I'm writing to see if anybody else has seen the autorouter make big
mistakes, like putting a trace right through a pour instead of leaving
it unrouted or installing the expected vias and routing across the other
side? I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this.

What about the program crashing when you say "yes, do a save before
proceeding to run the autorouter"? What I saw was a long hang while
trying to write the files (permissions were golden: it had written those
files multiple times in previous minutes). Then the app crashed. This is
on 64 bit Ubuntu 14.04.