[TriEmbed] I2C range extension

John Vaughters jvaughters04 at yahoo.com
Fri Oct 2 15:24:31 CDT 2015

 >why not just use one on the sink end.
I see now that my wrinting did not make this clear, but absolutely my intention was 44vdc as the max voltage with a DC-DC converter at the Pi. My point was that in this case of dropping from 44v to 6v, your DC-DC converter may only provide 60% power efficiency, or worse. You would have to find the best DC-DC conv. for this situation. So 7-8W from 13W is still quite a lot of power for a Pi. It does mean an extra DC-DC component. So it seems this is quite achievable even within the standards. I also saw that there is a PoE+ from 2009, which is 25W. On top of that I seem to remember that before their was a common specification that there were some custom specifications applicable to specific product manufacturers, which lead to a common specification. In any case please disregard any talk about the custom specification. Certianly possible if you use good Engineering principles, but not recommended or needed in this case.
Despite all this possibility, it would be my last choice to power a Pi. Used only if I needed runs far away from a power source. Unless you are already invested in PoE devices, it will add components and/or extra engineering, when I would rather just plug the device in if I can.
Certianly Lightning is a concern and NC is one of the top lightning states (2nd or 3rd perhaps?) if you did not know that. I only found out in the past 5 yrs or so, because unitl then, I always thought it was a short on lightning, having grown up in Florida. In power substations, we have all but eliminated copper runs for fiber for this very reason. So this is a valid concern for any long copper run.
John Vaughters