[TriEmbed] I2C range extension

Glen Smith mrglenasmith at gmail.com
Fri Oct 2 09:51:06 CDT 2015

If you are planning to use Official PoE, remember that while the current is
limited to 300ma, this is at around 44 VDC, the spec for 'regular' PoE is
around 13 Watts of available power at the field end. To operate your R-Pi
or other device you need to drop that down to the right supply voltage, so
a shield with a DC to DC converter would do nicely.

On the other hand, there are cheap and easy power injector cables that
allow you to piggy back a DC supply of your choosing onto the Ethernet
cable at the head end and then pull it back off on the field end. $6 at
Adafruit for a pair: https://www.adafruit.com/products/435
and if you don't need a pretty injection molded cable, you can make your
own for the cost of the barrel jacks.

Clearly, some thought needs to be put into the cable lengths, DC losses and
just how much power you need, but this IS a viable option.

Glen