[TriEmbed] Chain-able EEPROM or Similar

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Mon Nov 30 12:35:42 CST 2015

I have *no* idea if this technically is something that exists, but I have
to imagine it's possible.

I need a small, cheap (isn't it always?) chip that can store a few bytes of
data. Actually a single byte is all I need. And can be accessed kind of
like a shift register where I can query an unknown number of devices int
the chain and get, in order, the byte that each one stores.

The intent here is  so that I can have multiple, pre-wired, sets of LEDs
with an arbitrary order and number of LEDs on each. This chip would store
the LED count for each pre-wired section. Without knowing anything about
the pre-wired sections, I need to be able to poll all these chips and from
that know how many pre-wired sections there are, how many LEDs each has,
and in what order. The data returned just needs to basically look like: 48,
36, 24, 18 (4 sections with 48, 36, 24, 18 LEDs, in that order).

I assume it would use an SPI-like interface... not exactly since I can't
use chip selects. Since I would have an arbitrary number. A 2 wire
interface would be great. Is it possible to do something like this with
I2C? Basically, I know what I need, but don't know what to call it.

Any thoughts?