[TriEmbed] RPi Project

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Wed Nov 4 10:46:37 CST 2015

Brian,

This sound very interesting. You should probably use a rotary encoder
instead of a potentiometer. Look at http://bit.ly/1H8jPhm Rotary encoders
use what is called a Gray Code and the data coming out the encoder is
digital so no ADC is needed, elimination one chip. I have seen a few
examples of the use of these encoders on the web for RPis. I have used them
myself, but it was for Arduino/MPUs circuits.

~Carl

On Wed, Nov 4, 2015 at 10:10 AM, Grawburg via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> One of the programs the museum regularly presents to schools and other
> groups is called the Alaskan Pipeline Challenge. Students must construct a
> "pipeline" that allows for caribou migration under a portion of the
> pipeline and is able to avoid ecologically sensitive areas and yet allow a
> marble to go from the start to the finish.  I offered to add another part
> to he program to introduce instrumentation and control through the use of a
> motorized ball valve. The valve will actually be controlled by a Raspberry
> Pi that will activate a 12VDC relay connected to the valve actuator. That's
> the easy part. Here's the more involved part.
>
> The valve will not have anything actually going through it, but I want to
> simulate a flow meter and a pressure gauge. The idea being that a pipeline
> leak could be detected by a change in oil flow rate or drop in line
> pressure.  I wonder, would using a pot to vary voltage which will be
> converted to digital for the RPi with an appropriate ADC (an MCP3008,
> probably, which Adafruit supplies with all the instructions) be the
> simplest method?  This seems pretty straight forward and the Python code
> fits well into the whole project. A drop in pressure would automatically
> close the valve, for example.
>

> Thanks,
> Brian Grawburg

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)