[TriEmbed] ESP8266 Setup

dan dan at maniacallabs.com
Wed May 13 18:54:39 CDT 2015

Hi Nathan,

The first place to start would be to make sure you can communicate with
these modules at 3.3V logic. If you don't have a level converter, I
definitely recommend picking up a 3.3V FTDI module:
https://www.sparkfun.com/products/9873. This allows you to have 3.3V power
and 3.3V logic in one neat package. It makes interfacing with these modules
a bit easier. If you don't use one of these, you'll need to have a 3.3V
supply for the ESP8266, as well as a level conveter (like this one:
https://www.adafruit.com/products/757) for the TX and RX line.

Once you have suitable communication hardware, you're wiring will be like
this:

ESP8266 UTXD -> FTDI TX
ESP8266 URXD -> FTDI RX
ESP8266 VCC -> 3.3V
ESP8266 CH_PD -> 3.3V
ESP8266 GND -> GND
ESP8266 GPIO0 -> grounded for flashing firmware, not grounded for normal
operation (incl. AT commands)

If you're not getting anything from a new module, try changing the baud
rate. I've found that either 9600 or 115200 should work.

More details are in that article you linked (which I wrote :) ). Hope that
helps!

-Dan
www.maniacallabs.com
@ManiacalLabs