[TriEmbed] middle school science day presentation - update

jonathan hunsberger 1101010 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 18 21:33:04 CDT 2015

Hi all,
Thanks for all the feedback way back when.  Science day got canceled for
snow and the makeup was today.  I think it went great and one student came
up afterward to ask where he could get an Arduino.  I'm planning to share
the presentation with the teachers since it's full of links.

If anyone is interested in seeing what I did, feel free to have a look
<https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1X5wta5vqhL23LfRVDWpHIfsQhpBwunQGh35RBr7HMGg/edit?usp=sharing>.
The notes on the slides should give a general idea of what I talked about,
although I actually condensed those into these notes
<https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4XzVG0wD6IxRmVBRGJKRmJWUHc/view?usp=sharing>,
which i used for the talk and is the only place that talks about the demos
i did.  The general focus of the demos was loading example code and sending
it to the Arduino with minimal changes, to show how easy it is to get
started even before you understand how any of it works.

I hope you don't mind i said to look for the TriEmbed and Anibit tables at
RARSFest.  I didn't get to that slide in class, but am going to share the
presentation with the teachers to share with any of the kids who were
interested.

P.S. Adam, i did make a "POV wand" with some of the APA102s I got from
you.  I cut 32 off the front end so i didn't have to worry about extra
power supplies, and rubber-banded them to a long cardboard tube, with the
arduino rubber banded to 1 end and a USB charger inside.  It's not
completely tweaked yet, but I have it displaying a US Flag and when i waved
it for the 8th-graders someone in the back said "Murica", so I guess it was
good enough, lol.