[TriEmbed] Cheap ADS-B for drones

Charles West crwest at ncsu.edu
Fri Jun 5 14:12:35 CDT 2015

Hello all!

My lab may need to figure out an inexpensive way to get/make a radio
transceiver in the 978 MHz band.  I was wondering if anyone knew of a good
way to make a module like that.

We are trying to implement "ADS-B", which is a new standard for regular
aircraft where they transmit their GPS coordinates to nearby
aircraft/towers using radio (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automatic_dependent_surveillance-broadcast).
We would really like for drones to be able to do this too.  The catch is
that that existing  ADS-B solutions seem to cost somewhere between $250 to
$5,000 and are pretty heavy (meant for human sized aircraft).  It seems
like it isn't too hard to build a receiver for that band (
http://hackaday.com/2014/01/16/build-a-cheap-airplane-ads-b-radio-receiving-tracking-station/),
but I haven't seen any good solutions for transmitters.

If I may ask, does anyone know where/how to get a 978 MHz transmitter at a
lower price?  Is radio equipment just that expensive?

Thanks,
Charlie