[TriEmbed] soldering basics

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Sat Jul 18 21:47:21 CDT 2015

A too-cool iron is like a dull knife; much more likely to damage
something.  I keep my iron at 320 C typically, and it seems to handle
most situations.  I'll bump it to 350 or so if I'm trying to solder
something with a lot of thermal mass (such as a large ground plane on a
circuit board).

Wave solder specs on datasheets can be a good place to go for info on
through-hole parts.  The spec will most likely be too low to be
practical, because it's presuming a lot of things already being hot (the
solder is already melted and the boards are preheated), so you'll need
your iron to be hotter than that, but you can at least get some amount
of idea.  If the spec says 270 C for 30 seconds, you're probably in good
shape with a 320 C iron taking about five seconds for each joint.