[TriEmbed] Backup Power for Raspberry Pi 2

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Wed Jul 15 09:59:25 CDT 2015

Dwight,

Both John's and Glen's suggestions will work, but as Glen suggested you'll
need a regulated supply between the power supplies and the RPi 2 to bring
the voltage down to 5V. The RPi can not be run on more that 5VDC or expect
to see smoke from the RPi

Carl

On Wed, Jul 15, 2015 at 10:52 AM, Glen Smith via TriEmbed <
triembed at triembed.org> wrote:

> Dwight,
>
> I have a spare small (ish) ups that came with an old AT&T network modem.
> It outputs 12vdc, so it's higher than what you need, off the top of my head
> I don't know what the max input voltage is on the Pi. A DC to DC converter
> will bring it down to where you want it though.
> I kept it planning to do something like this myself, but 2 years in I
> still am just moving it around.
>
> Glen
>
> On Wed, Jul 15, 2015, 10:13 AM Dwight Morgan via TriEmbed <
> triembed at triembed.org> wrote:
>
>> Hi All:
>>

>> I need a backup power supply for my Raspberry Pi 2. I don’t think I need
>> something as large as those made for PCs. I think one more in line with
>> that D cell powered one in my alarm clock or a little larger would work
>> fine.
>>

>> Anybody know how to make one or if there is one out there already?
>> Feedback appreciated!
>>

>> Thanks!
>>

>> Dwight

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)