[TriEmbed] smart LED group buy was Re: TriEmbed Digest, Vol 20, Issue 45

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Fri Jan 30 10:17:36 CST 2015

They are APA102C (you can tell because the opening in the LED is round, not
square like the APA102) which are made by APA Electronics Co. LTD.
They also make the APA104 which is a protocol identical clone of the WS2812B

The major difference between the two (I've not ever seen APA102B...) is
that the C is cheaper and contains less metal and therefore less heat
dispersal. The APA102 is a bit more expensive and better at dissipating
heat. Aside from that they are the same.

Here's the official datasheet from APA:
https://cpldcpu.files.wordpress.com/2014/08/apa-102c-super-led-specifications-2014-en.pdf

Here's the one from my supplier:
http://www.pixel-leds.com/pdf/2014-7-14-7-43-59.pdf (It's not actually
showing the C model).

Here's my favorite, from Adafruit:
https://www.adafruit.com/images/product-files/2343/APA102C.pdf

For driving them (aside from with the AllPixel) I highly recommend FastLED (
http://fastled.io) on Arduino.
Adafruit also created a Python module:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_DotStar_Pi
I should probably add that into BiblioPixel :)