[TriEmbed] Middle school presentation

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sat Jan 24 18:31:14 CST 2015

You imply a key point, Shane: it would be very frustrating for a whole
class full of kids to share a single computer. My experience has been
with settings where kids are going from place to place such that only a
few are at any one thing at a time. I totally lost sight of that with my
posting to the list. The other significant headache with the RPI
approach is the pile of free little monitors out in the world do not
support HDMI and the pile of free mice and keyboards are often PS2 vs
the necessary USB type. Then there's power supplies, etc. To make even a
small number of these systems would involve scrounging a lot of stuff.

I looked at the slides and poked around in the Eagle files for the
project Shane pointed to and have a few comments.

I agree this project could provide an *incredible* experience for 6+
graders. But to emulate the format described in the slides would require
some number of programmers (they used one per pair of students). Jon
Wolfe of Anibit might make a deal on a batch of Adafruit USBtinyISP
programmer kits but they're retail price is about $22.

But one additional pain might be that edge connector. I really expected
to see a 2x3 or 2x5 _PIN_ header connector on this board. But it appears
this board would require some kind of edge to pin header connector (that
feels like it could cost a few bucks a throw) or else an adapter cable
(guestimate a buck a piece). The Adafruit programmer comes with a 2x5
connector/cable (in addition to 2x3). In my opinion step one for
pursuing this would be to tweak the PCB design to use a standard 2x3
male header to eliminate the need for some weird adapter lashup.

-Pete

PS I've come to terms with this Adafruit programmer and don't hate it
any more. I discovered why it wouldn't work some times (and anybody
considering buying one of these should ping me for the details to avoid
some real heartburn). My remaining issues with it that aren't germane to
a student project are that a) it's unbelievably slow compared to it's
somewhat more expensive cousins and b) it applies over four volts to VCC
no matter what the power jumper setting is. That's highly stressful to
discover after the fact if your circuit board contains devices that
forbid voltages this high.