[TriEmbed] Logic Analyzer Recommendatio

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Mon Jan 19 14:27:07 CST 2015

Sorry to be late to the party.

Two things with the bus pirate:
     1) Be super-careful to avoid the "latest" hardware version if the
software for that never got completed. I don't know if this situation
was ever corrected, but the last time I checked after (the worthless)
Bus Pirate for Splatspace wasn't cooperating the firmware author
appeared to have publicly backed away from completing the work (but that
was at least 18 months ago).
    2) The Bus Pirate is so slow and that even it's maker warns against
considering it equivalent to a logic analyzer for high speed data.

I've been using the Dangerous Prototypes "Open Bench Logic Sniffer" for
a long time and it's gotten the job done. It isn't particularly fast
(200msps as I recall) but that's been fast enough for every situation
I've been in, and should certainly be adequate for SPI.
The problematic aspect with this hardware is that even the best client
software (OLS <http://www.lxtreme.nl/ols/>) is a bit brittle with
respect to the USB interface, occasionally requiring a restart.

-Pete