[TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 20, Issue 16

Martin Brooke martin.brooke at duke.edu
Fri Jan 16 15:29:23 CST 2015

I never said anything about power only current.  The application was more
one of "is it on", and not much uses current when switched off.
Indeed for resistive loads like heaters you can just multiply by nominal
voltage to get power.
I think measuring voltage for power factor is sort of a challenge for
reliable low cost applications.  You tend to need to actually cut into the
wires which leads to trouble.
I had a Kill A Watt Electricity Usage Monitor in my basement till it
literally blew up and took a bunch of other stuff with it.  They tapped
into the power with a resistive divider that fried.
I have this idea that you can tell if a device is using a lot of reactive
power from the shape of the current waveform.  Or at least you can learn to
identify them and compensate based on the type of device.
For most home uses current is going to tell you what you need to know.