[TriEmbed] No NC Maker Faire this year :(

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Sat Jan 10 07:33:27 CST 2015

I recently inquired on the NC Maker Faire Facebook page about when the
Maker registrations would open and I was directed to their main website (
http://www.makerfairenc.com/) where I had just been a couple days ago, but
now it simply states that they have decided not to continue with it (full
message from them below).

Last year's faire was Maniacal Labs' first time presenting at the faire and
in many ways a life-changing experience. The AllPixel may not exist without
what we learned there. While I totally understand why the founders made the
decision they did and don't blame them, I still feel this is a huge blow to
the South East Maker community. Hopefully it will make a triumphant return
in 2016!

Maybe this will be more incentive to be ready for SparkCon this year :)

*After a lot of soul searching I have decided to move on from Maker Faire
North Carolina. As you can no doubt appreciate this was a difficult
decision for me to make.*
*My energy stores and the energy of my core team has simply run dry. All of
us producing this event did it on the side after our full time jobs and
we’ve simply found that working 20 or more extra hours a week organizing
the Faire has come at too high a cost.*
*If there is to be a sixth Maker Faire North Carolina it will need to be
accomplished under new leadership. Perhaps that’s you? It is almost certain
that there will not be a 2015 event. My hope is that some enterprising
person or some institution will step up with resources, initiative, energy,
and great ideas to plot the future for the festival.*
*I am very proud of Maker Faire North Carolina. I had a blast creating it
from nothing and then growing it using the considerable expertise and
gumption of those on my team and the friendships I have formed with all of
the Makers, Crafters, volunteers, and sponsors. It has been a pleasure to
lead the process, bask in the glories, and learn from the failures.*
*I know this is a bummer but don’t despair. If the June 2014 Maker Faire
North Carolina was the last then I want you to know that we went out on the
highest of notes. What we built together changed lives. It was an
influencer for the southeast and an inspiration to thousands.*
*Thank you for being part of this inspirational enterprise. This chapter
has closed but a new even more exciting chapter is surely on the horizon.*

*Fondly,*
*Jonathan Danforth*
*Founder, Maker Faire North Carolina*