[TriEmbed] Reminder: Introduction to Electronics, Sensors & Actuators Workshop on Sat, Feb. 28

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Wed Feb 25 20:29:38 CST 2015

This is a beginner's introduction to electronics devices, circuits, and
actuators and sensors.  This year I am going to have a on-going series of
workshops founding an introduction to electronics up to the simple
application of reading and controlling things.

Over the course of 6 or so workshops in 1 year, I hope to bring the
attendees some basic knowledge electronics, building up to reading and
controlling of devices in your home ala the Smart Home Initiative.  There
is going to be a lot of hands on overall (not so much this first time), and
the opportunity for the attendees to help steer what they want to learn.

There will be the teaching of electronic test equipment and learning how to
design and debug circuits.  How to select parts.  How and where to purchase
parts.  What tools to use when.  Even where to find some good reference
material.

As one commenter has already requested, this is really designed for the
neophyte, strictly at the hobbyist level, and not going into complex or
complicated manners of an electronics technician or engineer.  The idea is
to spark fun and interest, and launch your own personal learning into the
world of electronics.

Next year I would like to continue the series with buildup of understanding
of signals, propagation, and signal modulation or generation.  That all
sounds complicated, but I'm talking about simple concepts that spur on your
own ideas and imagination.