[TriEmbed] New TOF (time of flight) distance sensor from Sparkfun

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Fri Feb 13 12:14:44 CST 2015

If you are on the Sparkfun mail list, you probably already got this, but
this guy is interesting enough to warrant an announcement just in case.

https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12785

It is a $24.95 TOF (time of flight) distance sensor - this means that it
actually measures the amount of time to send light (IR) to and from the
object, so it is immune from surface reflectivity issues, and also immune
from many of the problems with ultrasonic sensors.

The only drawback that I see is the relatively short range - 0.5 meters is
listed in the spec sheet, but if you look at the app note they are
measuring distance out to almost 2 meters.  The actual distance is
dependent upon ambient light and surface reflection.  Note that while the
maximum dept allowed is dependent upon surface reflection, the actual value
of the measurement does not.

I will be ordering one of these soon (too bad I did not know about it
before placing two orders to them just last week).

Take a look at both the datasheet and the appnote.