[TriEmbed] Development language for simple "GUI" window program

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Tue Feb 10 10:14:30 CST 2015

Fred,
I had to research the same thing when developing the AllPixel. It doesn't
use an FTDI chip since the ATMega32u4 we used has CDC USB Serial, but as
far as the OS is concerned, it's just serial like FTDI.

First major question that will change my answer is what OS support you
need?
Because I needed to support any OS on any architecture, I went with Python
(2.7.x) and pyserial which is a pure python, cross-OS serial interface.
However, the UI components of Python are lacking. There's a plethora of
windowing packages but I've never been super happy with any of them. So, if
you just need something simple and a command line interface would work, I
would definitely recommend the pyserial/Python route.

If, for example, you just need Windows support, I can certainly recommend
C# which has built in serial functionality. With a little work and the use
of Mono it should even work cross-OS. But if you do need that, *start* with
Mono since you will really need to use GTK# instead of WinForms or WPF that
are the Windows C# defaults but *don't *work in Mono so much.