[TriEmbed] Personal supercomputing

The MacDougals paulmacd at acm.org
Fri Feb 6 18:59:06 CST 2015

I do know that 9 of the top 10 Green supercomputers have GPUs attached (8 of those are Nvidia GPUs and one is AMD).

The one without GPUs is not a CPU only system.  It has PEZY-SC coprocessors.

http://www.green500.org/lists/green201411

The newest Nvidia GPUs (Maxwell architecture) have significantly lower power requirements than previous generations.

With high performance computing, you have to run your workloads to see if GPUs are the way to go.  If you are willing

to play with the code, most applications can be tweaked to run much faster on GPUs than on CPUs.

The effort to program large parallel machines should not be underestimated.  But, it is the way of the future.

If you would like to try out GPU computing, Nvidia has a “free trial” offer at the moment.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/gpu-test-drive.html?2

---> Paul