[TriEmbed] Raspberry Pi 2 is 6 times faster than Pi 1

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Mon Feb 2 11:38:19 CST 2015

The story mixes multiple announcements - basically in the last few days,
there has been official announcement of the following:

* new Raspberry Pi 2 which bumps the clock rate from 700Mhz -> 900Mhz, # of
cores from 1 -> 4, and doubles the memory to 1GB, yet keeps the price the
same and the power requirement very close to the original - a great
announcement for those embedded systems that need a little bit more power

* Microsoft has announced plans to support the Raspbery Pi as a platform.
Personally I think this is a great announcement, even if I am very unlikely
to take advantage of it.  There are not many small embedded systems that
support Windows at a cheap price, and whether we like it or not, a lot of
things still run only on Windows

* new form factor for the Raspberry Pi - this is in addition to the current
form factor (board size/shape) - a SODIMM package.  This is the style
package used by memory makers so it allows the Raspberry Pi to be more
easily interfaced into a larger computer system - perhaps as a BMC, or even
a 'super computer' where 8-16x SODIMM sockets can house an array of
Raspberry Pis

So while Windows was announced as a "me too" for the Raspberry Pi, there
are still plenty of good for the new Raspberry Pi 2.0 - if I had not just
purchased several B+ systems, I would probably order a 2.0.  However, by
the time the 2.0 is readily available, perhaps I will need a few more
boards to play with...