[TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 31, Issue 2

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Wed Dec 2 10:25:11 CST 2015

On 12/2/2015 11:01 AM, Chip McClelland via TriEmbed wrote:
> Brian and Shane,
>
> Thank you for your responses. Originally, I rejected the diode solution
> for two reasons:
>
> 1) I thought the Arduino pin would end up connected to the Board's Vcc
> rail exceeding the 40mA capacity but, as you pointed out, the voltage
> drop across the diode will prevent this.

If the arduino is powered from that same Vcc rail, the silicon in the
arduino itself will prevent the pin from being overloaded; internal
junctions will be reverse-biased whether or not an external diode is
connected.  If that weren't true, the arduino would be somehow powering
itself!  You could then become a very rich man!

-B