[TriEmbed] Is there a FET trick for this?

Brian triembed at undecidedgames.net
Wed Dec 2 09:15:53 CST 2015

Let me see if I understand correctly:

When the FTDI is connected, you want power to flow FROM the FTDI adapter
TO your board.

When the Adafruit doohickey is connected, you want power to flow FROM
your board TO the adapter (the opposite direction) by the same pin.

If that's it, a simple diode between the pin and your board's power rail
is all you need.  Oriented to allow current to flow from the connector
to the power rail and not the other way.  Connect both the connector pin
and the Arduino pin to the anode of the diode, and connect the power
rail to the diode's cathode.  If the connected board is supplying power,
the diode will be forward-biased and will conduct.  If the board is
receiving power, the diode will be reverse-biased and will not conduct.

Make sure the diode is rated for the amount of current that will flow in
from the FTDI adapter.

Crude attempt at ascii art:

[FTDI?] ----+---[>|---- +V rail

             -
             ^ [optional]

          arduino pin

[FTDI?] represents the connector pin.

The optional diode is if you want to prevent current flowing into the
arduino pin from the FTDI adapter, but is unnecessary unless the FTDI
adapter supply voltage is too high for the pin.

Ordinary diodes do impose a nominally 0.7V voltage drop when in
conduction, but you can shop for a Schottky diode with a lower voltage
drop if that will be a problem.

Hope this helps!
-B