[TriEmbed] AllPixel Project Documentation

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Aug 27 21:57:43 CDT 2015

One thing to keep in mind with this and nearly everything else on a
Raspberry Pi is that your program can be preempted at any time.
Literally in the middle of one of the Python statements control may be
yanked away and given to another process, then passed back to finish
that statement an indeterminate time later. Between device interrupts
and processor scheduling ("time slicing") with background daemons, there
is a blizzard of program interruption going on more or less randomly.
Depending on the system load (or just plain chance) you may see this
never or a lot or anything in between. So don't be surprised if the
simple code from the Adafruit tutorial below puts out some very funky
numbers occasionally (i.e. they're completely crazy with respect to what
you know the sensor should be reporting). There are ways to make the
code immune to these kinds of errors, but it adds complexity. A
relatively accurate time reckoning scheme for Python on Linux is in
"answer 54" on this page
<http://stackoverflow.com/questions/231767/what-does-the-yield-keyword-do-in-python?rq=1>.
I just confirmed this works fine on my regular Linux system and think it
ought to work just as well on an RPI. One way to reject bogosity is to
toss a number that represents an impossible change in sensor readings.
That is, if you know the sensor can't be reporting a room temperature of
70 degrees one moment and 90 degrees the next, you can toss the 90
degree reading. But this adds complexity and it won't be long before you
want to use an ADC chip. :-)

And concidentally, tonight at Splatspace Geoff Tattersfield facilitated
a session about using an MCP3008 ADC chip with a Raspberry Pi using the
SPI bus. Folks went through this Adafruit tutorial
<https://learn.adafruit.com/reading-a-analog-in-and-controlling-audio-volume-with-the-raspberry-pi>.

-Pete