[TriEmbed] Learning Curve

Fred Ebeling FEbeling at ECPDesigns.com
Wed Apr 15 08:57:33 CDT 2015

Very insightful.  As a professional engineer for many years, I find
that the path from “Maker” to “Engineering” can be very surprising
to the designer, especially when it comes to the “realities” of the cost
of manufacturing the product.  Items that many forget about include:

Cost of parts, the difference between 100 and 1000 pricing
Cost of shipping the parts to you and then stocking them (inventory)
Cost of manufacturing – especially the cost of testing
Costs of putting them into a box, label and ship them
Documentation – product brochures, manuals, support in the future
Final the quality of life as you have all these “Need to be done now” in your life.

Fred Ebeling
ECP Designs

From: Christopher Svec
Sent: Wednesday, April 15, 2015 9:35 AM
To: burrsutter at gmail.com
Cc: triembed at triembed.org
Subject: Re: [TriEmbed] Learning Curve

Great! That leads to another question: which ecosystem?

I would classify the products you've listed (Arduino, RaspPi, Spark, etc.) as mostly from what I call the "maker" ecosystem, meaning they're "batteries included" products useful in prototyping and product/experience exploration. And the products you've called out are definitely the top ones in that ecosystem.

Another ecosystem is what I call the "engineering" ecosystem, meaning embedded products intended for high volume and high reliability products; it's anything you might want to manufacture and ship a bunch of (and not have them fail in the field).

The "maker" and "engineering" ecosystems can both create a product that does the same thing, but cost, design time, scale, reliability, etc. will be quite different.

Does that make sense?

(See? I love questions! :-) )

-svec

Chris Svec