[TriEmbed] Learning Curve

pete@soper.us pete at soper.us
Wed Apr 15 07:44:36 CDT 2015

I've been playing w mbed for a few hours here and there. I'm having fun with the ST Nucleo F401RE dev board ($10.30, 84mhz, 96kb ram, 384kb flash, "arduino compatible" shield headers, arm M4F lqfp64 chip under $5).  Not at all clear yet how much the ide and library infrastructure can be trusted. ARM (corporation leading the efgort, creators of major tool chain pieces, etc) certainly know what they're doing, but at least some platform code effectively crowd-sourced and QA requirements for put backs to the tree seem lacking. Gene Kahn and I have seen one episode of "what built yesterday no longer builds today." But with an N of 1... My guess is that if you use an mbed-compatible board that has a lot of users stuff will tend to be stable as support for the board's features is built out. -Pete