[TriEmbed] Fwd: Re: Arduino - open HW Raleigh startup -Feedback Request

Michael Wayne michael.wayne at georgewaynellc.com
Tue Apr 14 09:53:18 CDT 2015

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: "Michael Wayne" <michael.wayne at georgewaynellc.com>
Date: Apr 14, 2015 10:52 AM
Subject: Re: [TriEmbed] Arduino - open HW Raleigh startup -Feedback Request
To: "Martin Brooke" <martin.brooke at duke.edu>

Hi Martin,

Your first question: are you asking why we went with an 8 bit over a 32bit
ARM?

Regarding Xbee:

Many “standard” and proprietary protocols use the media-access controller
(MAC) and the physical circuits (PHY) associated with IEEE 802.15.4 radios.
Those protocols use their own arrangements of bits and bytes to transfer
information between nodes, but none of them use the Internet Protocol (IP).
So they cannot directly communicate with Internet-based devices and Web
servers/browsers. The IPv6 over Low power Wireless Personal Area Networks
(6LoWPAN) standard offers an alternative because it employs the IPv6
protocol and can operate equally well over wireless and wired connections.

At Qualia, we see an untapped area of creativity and innovation in reusable
data web apps by combining IPv6/CoAP at the edge. CoAP is interoperable
with HTTP but designed specifically for tiny tesource constrained devices.
Thus, any device running IP, no matter how small, can provide data for
application development. This presents an entire new paradigm of
application development.

We've created and will release at the time of our crowdfunding launch
tutorials that makes 6LoWPAN much easier to work with.

Michael