[TriEmbed] TriEmbed Digest, Vol 16, Issue 18 - Power regulator questions

Charles McClelland chip at mcclellands.org
Thu Sep 18 13:27:04 CDT 2014

Rodney,

Agreed, it is overkill for my current non-connected sensor for exactly the reasons you state below.  I should have mentioned that this is for the GPRS based connected sensor which has much higher and more variable power demands.

I was reading this article from the TI power folks who - unsurprisingly - thought that fuel gauges should be included in all battery designs.  I started thinking about how emotional this engineer was getting with words like “baffled”, “excited” and “flustered”.  I figured there must be something here.  Full disclosure - TI also sent me a sample of their BQ27410-G1 Gas Gauge chip

I am planning on putting a connected sensor in the local Ulmstead park to measure vehicle traffic.  I was thinking about the “metadata” I could send with each transmission and I realized that including the battery voltage might be a good thing.  I could watch the battery levels and know when I needed to swing by the park to change the battery.  I am using the Sparkfun one you pointed out below so, it is not about under voltage but about remote monitoring.  Over time, I will probably get a sense of how long a battery lasts so perhaps this is just for the learning phase.  According to the RC blogs, cold weather can affect LiPO performance so, the battery life could change significantly as we go from Fall to Winter.

Does this make sense or am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?

Thanks,

Chip