[TriEmbed] Looks like Microsoft is giving away the Full Visual Studio 2013

Kevin Gunn kevin at kevingunn.org
Fri Nov 21 19:26:05 CST 2014

I've been hating on Microsoft for quite a few years as their model was all
about locking people in.  HOWEVER, since Ballmer left and Nadella took over
I've been plenty impressed by the turnaround.  Are they "good guys" as in
"humanitarian philanthropists"... no, they're still capitalists, but they
are doing the right things to make people WANT to work with them.  This is
a great example of that.  I have a lot of hope that Microsoft (of all
places!) is going to do a lot to stir things up to the benefit of small
developers.

Kevin

On Wed, Nov 19, 2014 at 3:28 PM, <jonjwolfe at anibit.com> wrote:

> Funny, I had thought about posting the same link here.
>
> This is huge, MS has given away the "Express" editions of Visual Studio
> for years. Those were licensed for any type of use, including commercial
> and enterprise. The express editions had about 85-90% of the functionality
> in the paid editions, but that missing 15% was a doozy, no plug-in support,
> and most of the more advanced debugging features were missing.
>
> The new pricing model is great news for us small and independent
> developers, the new edition is identical to the "pro" paid edition as far
> as features. You can use it for free or commercial work for companies of 5
> developers or less.
>
> In addition, the core and server API potions of the .Net framework is not
> only being ported to Linux and Mac, but it is being fully open sourced
> under the MIT license.
>
> The only thing not being ported are some of the client side API's, like
> one of my favorites, WPF(A hardware accelerated, modular desktop UI
> library). All in due time, I hope. In the mean time, Mono supports nearly
> 100% of the Windows.Forms UI framework on Linux and Mac, I've used it, it
> works well.
>
> --Jon
>

> On 2014-11-19 13:50, Shane Trent wrote:
>
>> Microsoft free developer tools and free private repos.
>>
>> http://www.visualstudio.com/en-us/products/visual-studio-community-vs
>> [1]
>>
>> Shane
>>
>> Links: