[TriEmbed] Di-Pole Dilemma

Jeff Highsmith jeff at jeffhighsmith.com
Wed May 28 09:17:21 CDT 2014

Chip,

Forgive me for my rusty RF theory, but my understanding is:
• Dipoles are still somewhat directional, just not as much as a "Directional" antenna like a Yagi. Your best radiation and reception is at 90 degrees to the wire. In other words, the performance drops in the directions that the tips of the wires point. If you are vertically polarized, this isn't as much of an issue, since you are unlikely to be above the tip of the antenna.
• Polarization matters. You lose 3dB or so when switching polarizations, so make all your antennas horizontal or make all your antennas vertical.
• So-called "Rubber Ducky" dipoles rely on the radio's case or, more frequently, the human body holding the case to be the other side of the dipole. If you don't have a good ground like that under your rubber ducky, it won't do as well.

At what height relative to the ground are you placing your antennas?

I hope that helps. Others, feel free to correct me-it's been awhile since my ham days.

Jeff :)
WJ3FF