[TriEmbed] Giving this Surface Mount Thing a Try - Transistor Help Needed

Glen Smith mrglenasmith at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 15:53:01 CDT 2014

As the saying goes "The nice thing about standards is there are so many to
choose from."

I am most familiar with PCB's having R1, R2, R3 ... for Resistors, C1, C2,
C3 for Capacitors, D for Diodes, L = inductors, J = Jumpers or connectors,
Q = Transistors, U = IC's & X = Crystals. In smaller designs, it probably
does not matter too much. There is certainly something to be said for
RC(ollector), RE(mitter), and RB(ase). Many transistor circuits have a
biasing resistor from Vcc to Base and Base to Gnd, so now you have a RB1 &
RB2 or something. If your PCB has more than one transistor circuit, the
naming convention can get kind of hairy.

Truth be told, you can call them Charles, Chip, Glen, Pete and Jon if you
want to and you document it well. (Which is true regardless.) I just wanted
to be sure that I could use what I am familiar with when I started using a
PCB layout package.

Glen