[TriEmbed] (POE) Ethernet microcontroller

Glen Smith mrglenasmith at gmail.com
Mon Mar 17 22:11:11 CDT 2014

I feel guilty for sending my previous message and then not following up on
it. The last note in the string from Scott actually helped me understand a
little bit about where the problems with Ethernet come into play, and why
some projects that hare written up seem to have no problem with "Ethernet
Arduino's" where others do.

The application that I'm looking at would be controlling and monitoring
some number of points at many different locations - say 5 each digital in
and out, bi-directional audio would be absolutely fantastic, but not
necessary. This would be new (commercial) construction, and rather than
running dedicated wires for each of these functions, just run a single CAT6
to each location. Going with POE may eliminate the need to run a second
cable for power to each end point. Security would be a concern, so WiFi is
out, besides the need for power requires running a cable anyway.

So thanks to input from the list, and some more Googling, I came up with
some additional Ethernet microcontrollers that I was not aware of:
(Links provided solely as a means of information, I have no exp with ANY of
these devices.)

The Sparc Core has been discussed both in this thread and at some recent
meetings:
https://www.spark.io/
WiFi + Arduino + cloud code deployment in an area that looks to be about
3x5 cm for $40 (not shield compatible).

The IBoard EX from Freetronics:
http://www.epictinker.com/IBoard-EX-p/it-iboard-ex.htm
Ethernet (Wiznet chip) + nRF24L01 interface + XBee interface + MicroSD
socket + Arduino for $26 (not shield compatible).
I suspect this one has solved the constrained memory problems the original
Ethernet shield had by going with the Wiznet chipset that the Ethernet POE
has.

Add Ethernet to the Due for $16.
http://www.epictinker.com/category-s/1862.htm
Just Ethernet, but apparently interfaces via SPI to the 32 bit ARM Arduino
Due ($49).
Given that this is 32 bit processor, from what I understand Scott to say,
memory shouldn't be a problem.

Freetronics also has an EtherTen board for $70 and an EtherMega for $119.
They both have onboard Wiznet W5100chips.

So much to learn, so many projects to make...
Glen