[TriEmbed] (POE) Ethernet microcontroller

Glen Smith mrglenasmith at gmail.com
Tue Mar 11 07:26:08 CDT 2014

I forgot to ask last night during the meeting: Does anyone know of an easy
to use POE micro? I know that there is the POE Arduino, I have heard that
by the time the TCPIP stuff gets implemented there is very little memory
space for code. Is there a workaround for this or am I misinformed? The
other problem with this is the cost - $80 seems steep compared to the $39
WiFi Sparc-core for instance. (How do they get WiFi and cloud based over
the air updates into a product for 1/2 the cost of hard wired?)

If I step away from asking that POE be on the board and power it some other
way - even perhaps using a POE-injector/splitter set of cables, are there
any controllers that have training wheels on the Ethernet portion? Coding
is not my strong suit, so I'd like to be able to see some results and make
things happen at the other end of a CAT6 cable and have status updates via
a web page without having to learn and program my own network stack.

Some Googling brings up the netduino family, which looks like it has a
slightly better price point than Arduino Ethernet, and according to
AdaFruits site: "*The Netduino Plus 2 has Ethernet cooked in already! There
is a full TCP/IP stack with examples ready to go, and a microSD card slot
for storing files"* While this looks attractive, it also looks like it is
programmed in C# via Microsofts Visual C# Express, which means another
learning curve - though this one may be more widely applicable, since C#
and C++ and the "Arduino programming
language<http://arduino.cc/en/Reference/HomePage>"
share so much.

Any thoughts?