[TriEmbed] [Splat Space] Programming an ATmega168?

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 10 14:20:16 CDT 2014

Sorry it took so long for me to catch this email -- got squirreled away into the
junk folder...

I tend to use Atmel Studio to do my programming, so the best programmer I use is
the Olimex AVR-ISP-MK2 (DigiKey part # 1188-1008ND, ~$35).

Lady Ada has a kit version she sells for around $20 (Adafruit ID # 46).

I also have used avr-gcc/AVRdude toolchain to program, but I like the Atmel
Studio best.  (WinAVR is the avr-gcc/AVRdude for MS-Windows, and the underlying
chain for the Arduino IDE).

That said, I have showed off some smaller AVR programmers I got from various
sources:
Pocket AVR Programmer from Sparkfun (# PGM-09825, $15),
USBasp open-source design -- can be had from:
-  Pololu (part # POL1300, $20)
-  ProtoStack (part # AC-PG-USBASP, ~$18)
-  SainSmart (thru Amazon # B0051SRZWC, $10.50)
-  SunKee (thru Ebay # 1394478591, $7.00)
some of which you will want to get a 10pin-to-6pin adapter (see each site).

{Note I cross-posted this to the TriEmbed list as well, since there is interest
there as well}

- sgh

--
Scott G. Hall