[TriEmbed] Reasonable PCB Asembly

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Wed Jun 11 13:43:38 CDT 2014

Now that I'm on the mailing list I figure I'll dive right in...

Working on designing a geeky clock for resale and trying to make it all
surface mount components in an attempt to save board size and possibly
component cost. The board has about 40 components on it in total that are
surface mount and 4 more that we were planning on soldering by hand because
they are through hole (and that would've added even more cost to the
assembly). I've been working with Advanced Assemblies out in CA because
they work with my usual PCB fab house but they are quoting me at around $8
per board for the assembly (in quantities of 200 board). I realize that at
such low volume I'm probably going to run into some pretty high prices, but
it still seems to me that I can do better. I've looked around online but
figured I would see if any of you have direct experience with other
companies and if you liked them, should stay away, etc. We'd love to go the
surface mount route instead of making it a user assembled kit (hoping for a
broader audience) but that extra $8 would mean the retail price would be
*much* higher than we would like and think is reasonable.

Any suggestions for assembly companies (and even PCB fab!) would be greatly
appreciated.