[TriEmbed] new web site in place

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Jul 17 22:19:52 CDT 2014

Folks,
   TriEmbed has a new home on the Internet. The http://triembed.org URL
redirects to a Wordpress site now, which is a combination of web pages
and a "web log posting" mechanism (via the "Posts" link) with support
for arbitrary comment chains. I've copied the old content in and defined
a few posting categories, etc.
   Several of you got mail giving you accounts with "siteauthor" roles
<http://codex.wordpress.org/Roles_and_Capabilities>. This custom role
has more privilege than "author" to allow creating web pages as well as
postings, but less than "editor", so you're constrained to operate only
on stuff you've created.  Feel free to log in and try things out.
   If I forgot or messed up the "initial list" I gathered last month
(and which I extended a bit), my apologies. You're starting out with a
randomly generated password. Feel free to change it to something easier
to manage, but select one judged by Wordpress to be "strong". Apart from
staying polite and mindful of the children reading this list and viewing
the site, we must keep it secure. The ISP for my personal domains and I
have a happy relationship approaching its 15th birthday, but he's a
stickler about security. This site uses Akismet, Wordfence, and limited
login plugins to keep the garbage at arm's length, but Wordpress sites
are periodically BOMBARDED with high frequency breakin attempts as
vulnerabilities are found and fixed. OK, I'm sure we're clear about that.
   If you just want to be able to log in and comment without the hassle
of your comment going through the moderation process except the first
tie, say the word (including your desired username) and I'll give you a
"subscriber" account with a minimum of fuss. Your first comment will
block for moderation, but after being approved you'll be able to comment
freely.
   If you'd like to create content but want help deciding if it should
be published (or any other kind of help), request a "contributor" role.
   I'm willing for anybody receiving this email msg from the list to
have an account on the site. The type of account you can have relates to
how well we know you and can trust you. Referencing a URL or three in
the mail archive
<http://mail.triembed.org/pipermail/triembed_triembed.org/>, reminding
me (or the list: your choice) of roughly when you last attended a
meeting, etc, will help (I knew those sign-in sheets NCSU requires us to
keep might have some use some day!) Just drop me or the list a line with
your full name, desired username and what role you'd like to start with
and I or another admin will take it from there.
   I'm happy to upgrade you to editor if you'd like to help develop the
site beyond adding content (e.g. helping me fix foulups that step on
accepted Wordpress best practice). And if you'd like to share admin
duties, please send me private email so we can discuss it (and thanks in
advance!)
   If there's interest at the August NCSU meeting I'll fumble my way
through a short training session, with any and all help welcome.
  We can make either the "posts" or "home" (web) page the default page
for the site as we get a feel for what would be most useful.
   This site is automatically backed up once a week, with a "ring
buffer" of four backups.
(Thanks to Gayathri Jegan Mohan for showing me how Chrome incognito
windows can be used to be on the same site with multiple identities.
This saved me a lot of time!)