[TriEmbed] Dummy Load

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Jul 17 16:12:56 CDT 2014

It appears the "operating current" of that rheostate is 6 amps. It may
be that by following previous advice to not "hot switch" small contacts
the wiper connection might tolerate 25 amps without
overheating/oxidizing/melting. Notice it's wirewound and there will be
some inductance with this, but somebody like Fred might say what effect
that might have: I don't understand inductance below RF. :-) Looks like
there are enough turns to have one of them correspond to .2 ohms or
pretty close to that, though.

But the bummer might be the temperature rise. The whole rheostat is
rated at 200 watts, but what's the effect of about 4% of the wire
dissipating 125 watts? Using this nichrome calculator
<http://www.jacobs-online.biz/nichrome/NichromeCalc.html> it appears if
25 amps is put through wire instead of 6 amps (for one example) the
temperature rise would be roughly 6X times the 6 amp rise. For one
example I tried with the thickest wire the calculator handles, at 6 amps
the temp is about 200 degrees F and at 25 amps it's about 1200 degrees.

If you can get by with a fixed value, here's a .2 ohm resistor that can
tolerate 75 amps at 2/3 of the price and it's non-inductive:

http://www.digikey.com/product-search/en?pv1=1341&pv2=15&FV=fff40001%2Cfff80488&k=resistor&mnonly=0&newproducts=0&ColumnSort=0&page=1&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0&pageSize=25

Also, looping back to the discussion going on while I was out of the
country, the honking big DC buses I dealt with in the 80s involving an
early SMP machine used drilled and formed copper bars and/or strap vs
wire. But looking at much more recent gear, just find the power supply
hardware in a medium size Itanium system. Ought to be plenty of surplus
by now. :-)

-Pete
(I couldn't exactly model your .2 ohm, 5 volt scenario with that
calculator, as guestimating 500 inches of wire on that rheostat from the
(ostensibly *wrong example photo*), it would seem to call for thicker
wire than the calculator supports. I could well have made a big mistake.)