[TriEmbed] Power Supply rail current

Robert Mackie rob at mackies.org
Wed Jul 9 13:57:59 CDT 2014

I am way out of my depth in this whole discussion, but I did convert a
couple of gas vehicles to 100% electric drive trains a few years ago.  In
both vehicles, I installed relays to cut out in case of impact (driven by
inertial switch de-energizing them). One relay was at the back of the
vehicle and another at the front so that power would be cut even if one
relay was crushed in the closed position in an accident.

I mention it because these relays, while not cheap, were rated beyond 500
amps at around 150VDC, which was the full drive of the PWM controller
running the DC motor that activated the drive train. They controlled arcing
by having permanent magnets installed near the contacts to "bend" the arc
away from the far contact.  One of the relays activated and deactivated
each time I touched or released the accelerator pedal.  Although, that
implies that under normal conditions it was at low current when it opened.
 But it also worked if I turned the car off at the ignition under full
acceleration, or pulled the gear shift to neutral.

Rob.