[TriEmbed] Power Supply rail current

Rodney Radford ncgadgetry at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 08:24:34 CDT 2014

Relays are rated at a specific amperage and as long as that amperage is not
exceeded, you can open and close the contacts while current is flowing so
that is really the best option

Since this was a 1-off private build, for me, I would have checked the
price of the larger capacity relays and if they were too high, I would have
gone for a cheaper relay and just be careful that the current through the
contacts is low at the time they are opened/closed.  That is a pain to do
manually and I was just checking the supply specs to see if it has an
inhibit on the output that can be used to control the supply to prevent it
from supplying current until the relay is energized and it does not.

Given that, just look for a high enough amperage relay - I would push
beyond the 30A - perhaps to 50A for each of the legs.

The supply does have remote sensing and I would recommend running that to
the front panel.  That allows you to connect small wires to the load and it
will measure the voltage at that point and control it to meet the desired
voltage - so any voltage drop across the wires, relay, binding posts, etc
will not be a factor.  Usually these are connected internally to the power
supply outputs already, so you would need to remove that wire (specs don't
say how to do that, but it is usually just a small wire that is cut or
unscrewed) and then connect it to a set of binding posts on the front
panel.  To make life easier for you in cases where you don't really care
that much about exact monitoring, you can provide a front panel switch that
connects the remote sensing back to the outputs on the front panel.  Just
turn that to off and provide the wires to the load when you do care about
exact voltae monitoring in high current situations.