[TriEmbed] Group LED Buy

Adam Haile email at adamhaile.net
Tue Dec 23 08:05:33 CST 2014

This is actually unrelated to the AllPixel Kickstarter, but I'm going to be
ordering a decent quantity of LED strips from the manufacturer that I've
used for about 3 years. (I'm building a VERY large display for Maker Faire
2015). Which happens to be the same one we are using for the AllPixel
rewards. They make a wide array of high quality LED strip and strings (XMas
style lights).

So, since it's always cheaper to buy in as much bulk as possible
(especially when shipping from China), I wanted to open up the option to
get in on the order to everyone with TriEmbed. These are insanely cheap as
they will be coming direct from the manufacturer. As much as 1/3 the price
as from places like Adafruit. I'm not looking to take any profit from this.
Everyone will get the pricing listed in the PDFs (plus shipping and
manufacturer's fees). Here's the details:

Go here to get pricing PDFs: http://adamhaile.net/LEDPrices/

As a quick reminder for those unfamiliar, here's the differences:

   - WS2812 (NeoPixel) - 1 wire, 800Kbps data, 400Hz PWM, 24-bit color.
   Cheapest but slow. Good for most things.
   - WS2801 - 2 wire (SPI), 1Mbps data, 2.5kHz PWM, 24-bit color. Mid-range
   speed and price.
   - LPD8806 - 2 wire (SPI), 24Mbps data, 4kHz PWM, 21-bit color. Fastest,
   most expensive. Great for POV displays
   <http://maniacallabs.com/2014/11/19/weekend-project-povstick/> or video
   applications. 1 IC per 2 LEDs so much use in LED pairs.
   - APA102 - The new hotness. 2 wire (SPI). IC built into the LED like
   WS2812. 12Mbps data. 2kHz PWM. A little more expensive than WS2812 but MUCH
   faster.

All of these are controllable using FastLED on Arduino, with the AllPixel
and BiblioPixel, and in most cases on the Raspberry Pi (WS2812 and APA102
are complicated).

For those that don't want strips but prefer christmas light style strings,
checkout PixelStringLights.pdf. Note however that in the interest of a
timely order I will not order anything that doesn't have green text
(PixelStringLights PDF only). The black and red text items are made on
demand and have a several week lead time.

All are available in various levels of water resistance:

   - IP40 - NOT waterproof in any way. Bare strip.
   - IP65 - Epoxy coating. Resists moisture and light splashes.
   - IP67 - Silicone sleeve. Submersible up to 1m for up to 30 minutes. (I
   have hit these with a pressure washer to no affect).
   - IP68 - Silicone sleeve AND epoxy coated. Pretty much impervious if you
   don't cut. Only available on some.

All are sold as 5 meter rolls, except the string lights. See
the PixelStringLights PDF for length and quantity info.

If you would like to order some, send me the Item Number (for
example: TW5050RGB32T-8806 - which is LPD8806, IP67, 32 pixels/m) and the
quantity in rolls (or strings). Note that the prices listed for the rolls
are PER METER not per roll. Multiply times 5 for the full roll price.

You can probably ignore the 300m or more pricing. It's highly unlikely
we'll hit that (barely did for the Kickstarter). But I will still see if I
can get a better price... I've bought a LOT of leds from them :)

Once I've had some time to collect everyone's orders, I will submit an
invoice request to the manufacturer. That will give me the final price with
shipping and fees. Generally, the fees are a 4% transaction fee for using
Paypal (I really don't like the idea of doing a bank transfer to China). So
you can assume about 4% more, plus shipping (was about $35 when I ordered
10 rolls). Fees and shipping will be divided among everyone based on your
order quantity.

I will then send a paypal invoice to everyone and once I get all payments I
will submit the order to the manufacturer.

Since part of the point is to save on shipping, the intention is for that
anyone who orders to either pick up at a TriEmbed meeting or make other
arrangements with me. I'm unsure of the time frame on this since it depends
on when I get all the orders in and it usually takes a few weeks anyways.
So the sooner I hear from those interested, the sooner everyone gets their
LEDs :)

Let me know if you are interested or have any questions.

Adam Haile