[TriEmbed] seeking antenna recommendations for SDR

jonjwolfe at anibit.com jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Wed Dec 3 15:11:58 CST 2014

I recently picked up some RTL2832-based receiver dongles for my site(
https://anibit.com/product/wls03001 ) and I decided to claim one for
myself.

I'm a novice when it comes to analog RF stuff, same for SDR.

The antenna that comes with the dongle leaves a bit to be desired.

I know that there is no such thing as a one-size-fits-all for antennae,
but it there has to be one a little better for general purpose SDR than
these. I found that just touching the end of the antenna gave me a lot
better reception, at least in the FM radio band. (I contemplated trying
to build something out of coat hangers and aluminum foil, for old time's
sake)

The dongle has MCX-style connectors, which seems is not common for RF
stuff, I should have picked up some adapters from Adafruit while I was
at it, I will eventually.

Does anyone have recommendations for where to get a better general
purpose antenna for the casual user?

--Jon

PS, I'd also love to hear from anyone at next meeting who has done a lot
of cool things with SDR, it's so open-ended, it's a little hard to grasp
all the things one can do with it.