[TriEmbed] ChainDuino (on Kickstater)

The MacDougals paulmacd at acm.org
Mon Aug 25 21:56:06 CDT 2014

I have been working on RS485 network of Arduinos for my home automation
projects (cat feeder, drip irrigation, rain gauge, temp monitor, ...)
I am using an ATTiny84 and a MAX3483 chip and running RJ12 (4 conductor)
wire between them (daisy chain, not star).
The MAX3483 chip only does half duplex, so the 4 wires are a differential
pair, power, and ground.
Using Cat5 cable, I could see using power, ground, A/B outgoing and A/B
incoming (with 2 wires unused) to emulate a star topology.
You would need a central "hub" to handle the proper connections and power
amongst the cables.

I have not been terminating my cable runs with the 120 ohm resistors.
Things were not working with them on and did work fine without them.
I have not gone back to retest with proper termination.  I am only running
at 9600 baud, which I was told could be a reason it works w/o the
termination.
I currently start at a Raspberry Pi, run 50 feet to the drip irrigation node
and then another 35 feet to the cat feeder.
I am pulling power off of the Pi (3.3v).  With nothing going on, the current
is about 14mA to power the two remote nodes.

I am posting results from the rain gauge to Sparkfun.  I will show that at
the next meeting.

I plan to document this project better on the website in the near future.  I
can make the PC board for my design available on OSH Park if there is
interest.

---> Paul