[TriEmbed] Need a simple actuator

Jon Wolfe jonjwolfe at anibit.com
Thu Aug 14 17:24:46 CDT 2014

You ought to be able to find generic solenoids for a decent price too. That would be phyically simpler and faster, but I believe solenoids have a lot of inductance  and high current that might require extra care in the electronic side.

Electronics Goldmine used to have some cheap solenoids, they might still.

About how big will the 'bot be?

You might consider converting the rotary motion of a motor into a linear motion using a crankshaft or similar linkage. Like a car's engine in reverse, with the crankshaft spinning but the pistons going up and down. Depending on your desired hopping rate, it might be possible to store the energy of a single rotation in a rubber band or torsion rod, using a cam, notch or catch to release it at the end of each rotation.

Jeff :)