[TriEmbed] RTOS discussion/favorites

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Sun Aug 10 20:43:58 CDT 2014

Hi Charlie,

Welcome back! I hope you had a great experience with your summer work
out of state. See you at the meeting
<http://triembed.org/blog/?page_id=27> tomorrow!

I can't properly respond to your question. Most of my experience with
embedded OSes like FreeRTOS is with in-house ones that were never
intended for general consumption.

But your posting made me resume a project I started many moons ago,
which is to put FreeRTOS on an MSP430G2955 (the "highest end" G2 chip)
and I'm making some progress with that.  I'm intending to use
mspdebug/gdb/ddd with the Olimex MSP430-JTAG-TINY-V2 programmer/debug
controller. I've got the original TSSOP chip TI sent me but I also have
several of the QFN40 chips, and heaven knows how much I enjoy soldering
those. :-)  I'm designing a board with .6in wide headers that will have
an onboard programming connection, regulator and maybe a few other
whistles in a form factor like an extra long Arduino Nano. (The free
version of CCStudio is still limited to 16kb of code space, unless I'm
mistaken.)

-Pete