[TriEmbed] Using SPI

Carl Nobile carl.nobile at gmail.com
Tue Apr 1 21:29:49 CDT 2014

Thanks Rodney,

What I'm trying to do is control 4 (or more) motor controllers through SPI
using the SS (Slave Select) pin. But I just though of an issue, I would
never be able to send all the motors a command simultaneously using this
method. I'd have to got down the list of motors that were online at the
time and send what might be the same command like 'stop' one motor at a
time. It would be quick, so may not be an issue, but I wonder if there is a
better way of doing this.

Carl

On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:46 PM, Rodney Radford <ncgadgetry at gmail.com> wrote:

> The two data lines MISO and MOSI can be in any state until the falling
> edge of SCLK, so they could conceivably be used for other purposes.
>
> In addition, if the only concern is programming the hex image (which is
> not something you do while the motors are running), you could have some
> jumpers that disconnect the SPI lines from the rest of the circuit while
> downloading the image, and then put them back in place for normal operation.
>

> On Tue, Apr 1, 2014 at 9:40 PM, Carl Nobile <carl.nobile at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Is it possible to use the SPI pins on a mircorcontroller for two
>> purposes? For example used to burn the hex image and when not burning the
>> image then in normal running mode used to control motor speed, etc. or
>> something similar. My guess is yes, but I haven't figured out how to do it.
>>
>> Carl

Carl J. Nobile (Software Engineer)
carl.nobile at gmail.com