[TriEmbed] Question concerning a mechanical release

Pete Soper pete at soper.us
Thu Sep 26 09:19:31 CDT 2013

Hi Lucas,
    Please "reply all" to this msg to let us know if the information so
far has given you any ideas for a solution, and if so, what your
implementation scheme will be. Also, if you're OK with sharing the
details, we're eager to know what the string is connected to,  if the
string release happens periodically, etc. If circumstances have changed
or something else has made this project of yours moot, no worries, and I
don't want you to feel any pressure to reply. It's just that some of us
are very curious. :-)
    I'd like to summarize a few high points I remember from the msgs so
far. Folks: I've only read a few msgs of this thread, so forgive me if
this is partially or entirely redundant.
       1) Raspberry Pi gpio pins are *VERY* weak, only being able to
source/sink a few milliamperes of current, in a strictly "3.3v power
supply" context. That is, that pin cannot tolerate negative or >3.3v
potentials, cannot be expected to hold a large current at ground,
properly drive a high current load, etc. Part of the "0 < voltage < 3.3"
requirement is that no inductive load can be allowed to dump it's back
EMF from a magnetic field collapse into the Raspberry Pi pin: that will
almost certainly render that part of your Raspberry Pi inoperable if it
doesn't destroy the whole chip. So, for multiple reasons an RPI can only
directly sink/source ("provide a ground for"/"drive") a few devices such
as another integrated circuit or bare transistor or a (low voltage) LED
with a suitably large value resistor for current limiting.
      2) Driving something like a solenoid, stepper or plain DC motor,
relay, etc, requires a circuit that can "translate" the Raspberry Pi
signal/sink into a relatively high current and usually higher voltage
capable of running the device.
      3) Servo motors are special. In the context of this thread (i.e in
regards to the "hobby-type" servos Rod Radford mentioned vs an
industrial servo), they are self-contained motors that have a very low
voltage, low current drive requirement easily met by a Raspberry Pi and
conveniently works in conjunction with off the shelf software capable of
causing the servo motor to hold position, move a fixed distance one way
or the other, rotate continuously in one direction or another, etc.
    "String grabbing" would seem to be a special case of the "rope
grabbing" someone described vis a vis sailboats, so emulating the
sailboat device on a scale appropriate for your string and weight would
seem sensible. Using a servo motor for the mechanical end of things
would allow you to focus on your application and not get bogged down
with hardware/software details.
   I look forward to seeing you and the others who have contributed to
this thread at a future meeting. The next mtg at NCSU is Monday, October
8th.

Best Regards,
Pete (home from UNC hospital and recovering from step one of a
long-planned two part heart-remodeling project)