[TriEmbed] Question concerning a mechanical release

Scott Hall scottghall1 at gmail.com
Wed Sep 25 23:47:50 CDT 2013

Actually the typical circuit, from a Pi or any other controller, consists of a
NPN transistor, driving a MOSFET, which drives the solenoid.  Hard lesson
learned from years of model trains and diorama animations.  I have seen people
drive the solenoid directly through a single transistor, but like you said, you
gotta watch for the back EMF current.

Basic Relay or Solenoid Driver

See this article:
http://www.delabs-circuits.com/cirdir/electric/discrete/del50010.html

Here is an article of a simpler circuit:
http://electronics.stackexchange.com/questions/62415/solenoid-driving-circuit
schematic

Here is an Instructable:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Controlling-solenoids-with-arduino/

And this EE claims that others do it wrong, and he uses proper EE analysis to
prove it: http://www.evdl.org/docs////solenoid_drivers.pdf

--
Scott G. Hall
Raleigh, NC, USA